An important COVID-19 update for new and current patients. Click for Information
Take Our Cataract Self-Test
Take Our LASIK Self-Test
Spring Allergies? Here are Some Tips!
Created on: Thursday, March 19, 2020 Author: Eye Associates Surgi Center of Vineland
Well it is officially Spring, a time of beauty where plants spring into life and also the time for seasonal allergies. Ocular allergies, commonly referred to as “eye allergies” cause frustrations for millions of people every year. If you suffer from seasonal allergies, then you might end up having to deal with watery and/or irritated red eyes.
So What Causes Spring Allergies?
- Seasonal Allergies: These are the common allergies that your eyes become subjected to and definitely very big in the Spring. These are caused by allergies to pollen from bloom plant life such as weeds, grass and trees.
- Perennial Allergies: These last throughout the year and are usually caused by allergies to dust and different animals. Smoke can also trigger an allergic response as well as colognes and pollution. There are plenty of times when you can easily identify the cause of your allergic reactions, but seeing a doctor might be necessary to determine what is triggering your allergic reactions.
Helpful Tips to Limit Allergen Exposure:
- If the pollen counts are high, stay inside!
- Wear Sunglasses. They can help to protect your eyes from airborne allergens.
- Cleaning the floor with a damp mop helps to keep allergens from getting airborne when you are doing Spring cleaning.
- DO NOT rub your eyes! This only makes your allergic symptoms worse!